News

Supreme Court Dismisses Review Bid; Upholds Anas’s Title to Accra Land

By Isaac Darko Boamah

Accra, 11 February 2026 —

A seven-member bench of Ghana’s Supreme Court on Wednesday dismissed, by a unanimous 7–0 vote, an application by businessman Adolph Tetteh Adjei seeking a review of a November 2025 judgment that awarded title to investigative journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas in a long-running Accra land dispute.

The panel, led by Justice Gabriel Scott Pwamang, said it had considered the motion, affidavits in support and opposition, the parties’ statements of case and oral submissions, and found the application did not meet the high threshold required for the Supreme Court to reopen its own decision. The court noted that review is permitted only in exceptional circumstances — for example, where there is an obvious error of law or fact on the record, newly discovered evidence that was previously unavailable, or a breach of natural justice.

Mr Tetteh Adjei had challenged the five-justice bench’s November ruling, arguing six grounds he said amounted to a miscarriage of justice and misapplication of the law. The review application was heard on 27 January 2026 but was rejected in the judgment delivered today.

The ruling brings finality to the protracted dispute over a parcel of prime land in Accra, vesting title in Mr Anas, who acquired the property from the Ataa Tawiah Tsiniatse and Numo Ofoli Kwashie family. The case earlier traversed the High Court and the Court of Appeal before reaching the Supreme Court.

In reaffirming aspects of the November decision, the court emphasised that a 2015 consent judgment of the Court of Appeal — which purported to settle an earlier High Court judgment — remains valid unless and until it is set aside by a competent court. The bench noted that a separate challenge to the validity of that consent judgment is pending in the High Court and that, until that court rules otherwise, the consent judgment stands.

The Supreme Court also clarified that its decision affects only the parties before it — principally Mr Tetteh and the two acres at the centre of the dispute — and does not disturb the rights of other third parties whose grants remain valid unless a court determines otherwise.

Justices Richard Adjei Frimpong, Hafisatu Amaleboba, Yoni Kulendi, Bright Mensah, Janapare Bartes-Kodwo and Ernest Gaewu sat with Justice Pwamang on the review panel.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *